16.3.11

I Hear Her Say


My father, sister and I board a fishing boat to take us out to sea. I am holding my mother’s remains in a wooden urn. I am the one tapped to do the deed. When we are far enough out, I walk to the back of the boat. The driver slows down and then cuts the engine. I pull out mother-in-a-bag. I begin to pour. Just then the breeze kicks up and throws her ashes back in my face. Not so fast, sweetie! I gasp. I am covered in my mother. I cough. I spit. I move fast. I finish the job. In a dramatic gesture I toss the urn overboard. It bobs up and down on the waves like a turtle. Then it begins to sink. Oh crap! I can’t swim!

journal entry
finally
the last word

1 comment:

  1. Carolyne,

    The poem well explores tragically humorous, humorously tragic aspects of love.

    The "concluding" haiku, which works effectively on two levels, literal and symbolic, adds emotional weight and aesthetic depth to the poem.


    Chen-ou

    ReplyDelete