23.11.10

Audition

I met her in our favorite coffee shop just across the street from the college campus where she was staying for the summer. She looked like she hadn’t slept in weeks. “I don’t know if I’m cut out for this kind of life,” she said in a low wail so no one could hear her. “Twice now they have put me through the ringer and keep telling me to come back.” “Do you want to come home?” I asked. “Noooo! I want to see this through otherwise I’ll never know if I have the gift,” she said with such passion in her voice that it sounded like a line from a play. “Why don’t you read the letter that’s in your hand?” I said. “I can’t,” she said. “You read it.”

I smoothed it out, opened the envelope and took out the letter. “The Artistic Director and staff are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to be a member of The Theatre repertory company for the 2001-2002 season.”

She sat there motionless. I read the letter again. She had no response. I shook her arm. She continued to stare. “Congratulations! This is what you’ve wanted for years,” I said getting up from my chair. “Aren’t you happy?”

summer afternoon
one by one
a child pops the soap bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment